EarthLab envisions a world where nature and people thrive. Part research engine and part community catalyst, EarthLab engages public, private, nonprofit and academic sectors in a shared and ongoing conversation that converts knowledge to action. Together, we identify the places where life on our planet is at greatest risk and co-create solutions that make a real impact on people’s lives and livelihoods.
Backed by the proven science and broad expertise at the University of Washington and working alongside our civic partners, we look inward to question, then reach outward to apply. We are expert, nimble and tirelessly driven by our shared vision for tomorrow, which we collectively act on to make real today.
We strive to
- enable multi-partner teams to assemble to develop tailored solutions
- co-produce and catalyze actionable science
- tap into and utilize broad and diverse expertise at UW from our faculty, staff, students and beyond
- facilitate networking with policymakers, practitioners and other off- and on- campus stakeholders to drive towards solutions
How we work
- Projects: with our partners, we embark on projects where decision-ready science can effectively create real and positive change
- Incubators: for collaborations in their early phases, EarthLab offers an Incubator program to help nascent partnerships realize their full potential
- Garages: meeting multiple times over months to years, Garages apply collective scientific, humanistic and artistic insights in ways that lead to positive conservation and human well-being outcomes through in-depth mutual learning, collaborative relationships and partnerships
- Salons: through periodic gatherings designed to bring together diverse groups of thinkers, Salons explore solutions to environmental problems by allowing for spontaneous interactions and serendipitous connections to arise